It’s a common scenario – you’re providing internet marketing services for a client or working freelance, etc… and you have been “blessed” with having to produce a 400-500 word article, about (put a topic you know nothing about here) – in one hour.
Normally I’d tell you to feign some type of sickness and let someone else handle it, or outsource the work to a professional. Unfortunately, time is a luxury you don’t have. Tick tock…
Don’t cry. You can do it, with some help from Jim Estell – in his excellent post “How to Write an Article in 20 Minutes“.
Some of Jim’s tips include:
- scribbling down ideas and concepts to cover before hand
- refine ideas and topics – weed out irrelevant information
- warm up for a few minutes before hand by writing for a few minutes or getting some fresh air
- split up the writing into shorter 5 minute sections and come back to it, unless you’re in the zone…
- use bullet points 🙂
- …and one from me. bookmark wikipedia and refer to it often.
Helpful tips, for sure. I completely agree about the scribbling ideas and topics down before hand, although I don’t do this as often as I should. Instead, I wind up staring at the screen with my fingers left hanging over the keyboard like I’m getting ready to perform some piano piece and I’m just waiting for the music to start. and waiting….and waiting….
Most importantly, don’t get discouraged. What is it Einstein said?
“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?”
oh, hang on – I don’t think that was the quote I was looking for. Here it is –
“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.”
Amen, Einstein. amen.